Sunday 27 October 2013

My Imperfect Body

Ever since Wah!Banana became popular, almost every one of the cast begin to observe changes in our lives. The most prominent is adapting to being seen as a public figure.

As much as we enjoy acting, I can assure you that we are very private people. We started the channel because of passion and work, certainly not fame. In fact,  none of us expected our work to grow to this size. The fame and public recognition came as a surprise to us and until this very day, I don't think any of us has grasp the extent of it.


Being seen as a public figure has made me realized something, I am physically imperfect. Well, it is not to say that I had previously thought that I was perfect, but I certainly didn't pay that much attention to my body as I do now. I would just go about my life as per normal, not really concerned if my complexion was bad or I was flabby. I ate what I want, say what I want and do what I want. It is different now.

Being a nobody has it's perks. I can leave the house in my shorts and washed-out old T-shirt with my dirty flip-flops, in my clean but makeup-less face. I can laugh out loud whenever I'm out with my friends. I can curse and complain on social media without drastic repercussions. Being a nobody has the freedom that I am starting to miss.


A nobody doesn't have to deal with nasty and mean comments about my body on the internet. People commenting that I am fat, too skinny, ugly, flat, short etc. I am glad that I'm not a vain person. These comments may be nasty but they don't bother me, because I know there is no one out there who is perfect.

So what if that's what people think of me? I am comfortable in my own skin. Whenever I am lazy (which is quite often), I will still leave the house in old clothes and no makeup. Interestingly, people still recognize me. I guess I should be happy.


The media has painted a terrible picture in defining beauty, influencing our view of it. Cosmetic surgery, expensive clothing, branded accessories, thick makeup etc. People come in all shapes, colors and sizes but media has created a single definition of beauty that is grossly inaccurate. Where has the natural and healthy beauty gone?


More and more people are turning to changing their looks to gain confidence. I do agree that looking good can make one more confident but how do you define 'good looking'? Does having a straight nose make you 'good-looking'? Does having large eyes make you 'good-looking'? Maybe that's what the media tells you. I think looking healthy with a dose of confidence is what makes you look good.

It doesn't matter if you have a birthmark or small eyes or crooked nose, I will find you attractive if you are confident with a glowing personality. Nothing beats that.


Stop chasing that superficial beauty. You are beautiful as you are.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Janice, that was so lovely. I agree that it is better to be healthy + confident. To me you are very beautiful - both inside and out. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, fame is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, people actually said you are fat?? Unbelievable!!

    But actually being a public figure in Singapore much less stressful than in other countries, where you are constantly being hounded by propaganda thirsty for more juicy news. But here is generally quite peaceful.

    Anyway I hope that you will have your new channel up with more awesome new videos! All the best and cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice, awesome of you to share. I can only say that you have no reason to pay attention to any of those comments (well, except for the positive ones as they are so very true). I am sure you make heads turn, regardless of what you are wearing or if you have make up or not. I know I would be mesmerized if you would cross my path.
    Only today I came across to the wah!bananas videos.
    Hilarious stuff! After watching them all I ended up wanting to know who you guys are and link after link I got to know the new Tree Potatoes move. Watched the videos and great material!
    On the quest to understand the move I came across with the mothership article.
    Although undeniably true, you are indeed a very beautiful woman, I don’t think that’s the sole reason of your success. There are so many videos on youtube with pretty faces, but sadly they don’t go past that. While you, in my opinion, have presence on the screen and bring satirical characters into life in a credible way (as do your friends).
    From my point of view the article is not particularly fair to the reasons of your success and hard work.

    Just felt like sharing this as after seeing all the videos on a youtube spree, I can see the evolution and how much you all “grew” together.

    Congratulations and I can’t wait to continue watching your success as another anonymous fan of yours.

    P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    All the best with Tree Potatoes, will definitely be following it from wah! from now on.

    As for your post above, please don't change the way you look! (You're really hawt! - in an ultimate GND kind of way, and no I'm no pervert, just meant it as a compliment...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nature is beauty! You got my full support from Malaysia Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. IMHO crazy hot. And funny too! Don't know about the no makeup, never seen that haha.

    Funny>pretty. Jia you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i love(like)you man(woman)
    awesome, it was an amazing inspiring seech
    so far i have not seen you in public yet, but if so i would be so excited!

    ReplyDelete