Sunday 20 April 2014

Getting Used to the Public

Technology can be scary. It has resulted in an incredibly fast dissemination of information that has resulted in the exponential growth of our channel and videos. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that our channel is growing fast and people are appreciating our work. It makes us feel good that our hard work has not gone to waste. 

The nature of our work requires us to put ourselves in front of the camera and on screen. I love acting because it allows me to be someone else. However, this passion comes with a price. As much as I love the appreciation and attention, I love my private life as much. This makes it really tough for me when I am off screen. 

I do love sharing my life with my friends and family as I had been doing for years before YouTube changed my life. But I don't like feeling exposed. 

I enjoy walking around in public, having my $1 pushcart ice cream; dressed in shorts, tank and slippers, laughing out loud with my friends, not having to worry that people are looking at me weird or pointing at me. 

In the beginning, I didn't like being recognised in public. I felt like I was not safe in public, that people are constantly watching me. They know who I was hanging out with, where I was eating or even where I lived. That really scared me. I was so not used to it. I wanted everyone to just go away. 

It's been almost 2 years since this YouTube work started for me and I have begun to get used to being recognised and approached in public. I won't say I like it but I don't detest it. I have accepted it as a part of my job. The boys have also taught me to see it from a different perspective; they come up to you because they really love and appreciate your work, be glad that they do. I do from the bottom of my heart but I am still trying to get used to having my life going public, give me some time. 

Currently, I am happy to have people come up to me to say hi. I am absolutely cool with that. I don't even mind if they ask for pictures and autographs. However there are times when I am taken aback by the way some people approach but that, deserves a post on its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment