Wednesday 19 June 2013

Weird Messages That I Received

I have a Facebook page which has a decent number of followers. I update it regularly though not as regularly as my Instagram and Twitter. Among the different social media platforms that I am active on, I have the most messages and comments on my Facebook page.

The awesome thing about those messages and comments that I get is knowing that there are many people out there who are concerned about me and the channel. When I posted about my flu, there were numerous people who left incredibly sweet messages for me, wishing me well. People also enjoy leaving me suggestions for future videos which I really appreciate. It really pleased me to know how much our work has impacted people's lives. 

However some messages rendered me speechless, I don't even know how to reply to those messages. Messages are different from how you speak to a real person in REAL LIFE. It is absolutely normal to say hi to a person in real life but it's super weird when you just send a message with just 2 letters without the slightest indication of the purpose of the message. You don't send out an email with just "Hi" right? I thought it's only appropriate to state your purpose of the message after saying hi. Sometimes I get messages like that:

A: Hi
Me: Hi
A: Hi :)

WHAT?! It's already weird enough that you didn't state your purpose and you just said hi again? In cases like that, I would stop replying because I suspect it may be a never ending trap. 


These are more examples: 

It was really tough trying to figure out what this person was saying because it wasn't in proper English. I guess this person wanted me to shout out to his friends? But I had no idea who these friends are and what kind of shout out this person wants me to do. 

It's really weird to ask me to do something when I don't know him. And worse of all, I barely have a clue about what he wants from me. Just too weird. 


OK. This is another one of those non-English message. I only managed to identify about 15 English words out of the entire message? So I guessed this person meant: 
Hi Miss Foxy, can I ask you a question? Are you a peranakan chinese? Because you look like my ????? from ????? And lastly ???? your guy can make some videos about peranakan. 

I am not a grammar nazi. (That's Aaron and Elliot.) I don't even proclaim to have perfect English. But reading messages or comments with obvious grammar and spelling errors is going to give me a stroke sooner or later.


THIS IS THE WEIRDEST. Did he think I was part of a dating agency?! I know this is mean but I laughed at the absurdness of this message. He concluded that I was an honest and sincere woman from going through my Facebook page? AND concluded that I was the one? How?! 


After receiving numerous messages in weird English, I decided to give this person the benefit of the doubt and trust that he wasn't being rude, but just has really bad command of the language. I decided that he was asking me which country I am from instead of the exact location because that will be incredibly creepy. Name u? I guess he was asking me for my real name and not screen name. 

Reading the comments and messages on YouTube and Facebook forced me to come to a conclusion. One that I wish that I would never have to make. People have serious EQ problems.

7 comments:

  1. Well, i guess that's the perks of being a mini celebrity, hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amount of people having EQ problem are just too damn high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The words that you don't understand are in Malay.
    Hi Miss Foxy, can I ask you a question? Are you a peranakan chinese? Because you look like my female relative from Penang (Malaysia) And lastly hope you guys can make some videos about peranakan.

    Hope that makes sense to you now. Glad to be of assistance

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha this is funny. Do understand ur frustrations lol~~~ but there are just too many weird ppl online these days, juz ignore them.
    Luckily u dun get pervertic msges hahaha, which are socommon for a babe like u haha
    cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok miss foxy... maybe its will help u...

      "Hi Miss Foxy, can I ask you a question? Are you a peranakan chinese? Because you look like my sister(saudari) from pinang island(pulau pinang) And lastly i hope(harap) your guy can make some videos about peranakan. (peranakan like descent or blood of chinese)"

      that message mix with indonesian or malay languages..
      im chinese live in indonesian.. im ur fan... foxy fighting !!!

      Delete